Sunday, January 18, 2009

Lets go fly a bike...

I was in a familiar place, very much like downtown Greenville, but with a feel of Broadway at the Beach too. There were lots of people, tourists mainly. It was a nice day; sunny and warm. The trees were all full of green and it was windy. Perfect for kite flying.

I was 'flying' a bicycle. My feet didn't touch the ground, I floated above it at about the height I would be if I were actually bicycling. Above me, a bike flew through the air, guided by some strange remote control in my hands. Not only was I floating a few feet of the ground, my feet were pedaling through the air as if I were bicycling. I watched the bicycle fly through the air and guided it carefully around trees, careful not to hit any of the buildings surrounding the streets. I was aware that the bicycle was very heavy, as a bicycle would be, and so was careful not to let it crash to the ground and hurt anyone. For this reason also, I had to keep it in sight at all times.

The people around me were all entranced, but not as they would be realistically. They had the sort of amazement on their faces as one of us would were we watching a unicyclist, not a man flying a bicycle. The crowds grew heavier and heavier, all of them very excited at my talent and I had to work harder and harder to keep the bicycle from killing someone. There were festival tents set up now.

Around a corner, I lost sight of my bike and panicked. I raced around the corner, trying to guess as to where it was, and finally saw it high above me, racing towards the clouds. I angled it back down and over-compensated. It nosedived and crashed violently into the ground. It suddenly dawned on everyone watching how dangerous this could be, and they looked at me as though I were insane. I picked the bike up, rode on it for a moment to get it up to speed and then jumped to the side, pulling the handlebar up into a wheelie and then letting it fly back into the air.

No comments: