Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Depersonalization

I get this feeling sometimes, a feeling of total detachment from the world around me. I've tried to explain it to people before. Usually they don't understand what I'm trying to say, sometimes someone will say they get the same feeling, but I'm never sure because my explanation never seems close enough to what it is.

Just going about my daily life, I'll suddenly have a strange out-of-body sensation where I can see myself doing whatever it is I'm doing. With this, I experience a deep sense of self and where I am physically. As in a dream, a question will present itself to me and make itself entirely important, unable to be swept aside.

"Am I really who I am?"

This is always followed by a strange flow of thoughts concerning the rest of the world and the people in it, usually in terms of why am I who I am and why I am not someone else. Am I really experiencing the things in my life?

The strangest part of it all is the final question before all goes back to normal.


If I wasn't experiencing everything in my life right now, what would I be experiencing?

No comments: