Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Home Run

I was in a long classroom with large windows on the right side. On the left side of the classroom were long counters, presumably for science experiments and the like. The windows faced out onto the main lobby hallway of the school. I stood looking out the window nearest the classroom door and watched as a boy, probably around 17 years old, walked through the front door with a gun. I didn't see or hear anyone else, but I knew there were people around somehow. In the classroom I was in, there were other people, but I don't remember seeing any of them.

I crouched down against the wall, peering cautiously over the sill of the window to see where he was going. He started to shoot randomly into the walls and offices around the lobby area and I knew I had to do something. I locked the door to the room I was in to protect the other people there. We waited for a few minutes, hearing the gunshots and hoping he wouldn't see any of us and I had to keep motioning everyone to stay down. After about five minutes, the people in the room with me disappeared and I realized I was dreaming.

I knew I had to do something to stop the boy from hurting anyone, so I unlocked the door to the room and picked something up. I'm still not sure if it was a baseball bat or just a piece of broken chair.

I whistled to get his attention before dropping back down out of sight. I was nervous, but I tried to focus on just being quick and getting it over with. He walked slowly over to the door, finally not shooting at everything he saw. Bringing the gun up, he opened the door and started to step inside.

Just as his foot hit the floor, I whirled in front of him and brought the bat down on his head. The gun didn't leave his hand and he only looked at me with a shocked expression on his face. I hit him again, a little harder and he crumpled to the floor, passed out. As he fell, I grabbed his pistol by the barrel and held it away from him.

I looked up to see a police officer walking towards me, surprised by what had just happened. I handed the gun to him and he directed me towards one of the offices for my statement.

When I got there, a man was looking at a computer screen at some sort of defense grid for the entire world. He said that now that the danger was passed, he would have to send a message to certain defense networks so that they could lower their alertness. I thought this was strange, seeing as the 'danger' had only been a boy with a gun. On his map, I noticed most of the grids he was looking at were in the Middle East.

I told another man there what had happened, but when I told him, I was describing it to him as though I had just dreamed it, even laughing at the absurdity of it. He never laughed though, only took everything I said down as if filing it away for future use.

I wake up.

No comments: