Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Aperture!

I finally realized what it is and how to change it properly. Sort of pathetic, seeing as I've had my camera for around eight months now. All it took was a 90 second tutorial on youtube. Maybe I should become bored out of my mind more often. It's the only time I think to learn anything.

With my newfound knowledge, I left for downtown Greenville and spent an hour or so taking repetitive pictures with different settings and times. It was a learning experience and there was an enormous improvement over the night pictures I took while in Myrtle Beach. I took quite a few photos of churches downtown, of which there is no shortage. For such a devout atheist, I seem to gravitate towards religious imagery pretty regularly.








































Predictably, I was stopped by the "man" about thirty minutes or so into my foray. I was taking pictures of the Academy St. bridge when I saw a cruiser speeding towards me, two lanes opposite my sidewalk. The flashing light on the camera caught his attention and he zoomed across to me, pulling up alongside. I waved to him and was about to ask him what the trouble was when he nodded and saw that I was taking pictures.

"I saw your light and thought you might be trying to flag me down."
"Nope, just taking some pictures," I responded, knowing that wouldn't be the end of it.
He almost started to pull away but suddenly stopped again and leaned towards me, "Hey, have you-"
His radio cut him off, but all I heard was, "...suspect last seen wearing..."

"Have you heard anything that sounded like gunshots?"


I'd heard what sounded like a car backfire about ten minutes before, so I told him this and pointed him in the direction of St. Mary's Catholic Church. He nodded graciously, gave me a hearty thank you and then zoomed off in that direction.


Even if all my pictures sucked, I can sleep well knowing I aided in the capture of a dangerous villain.

No comments: